A Catholic Monthly Magazine

Marist History rss

The Town of Belley in the Early History of the Society of Mary(0)

April 1, 2020

Part 2 of 2


The Cathedral and Bishop Devie

Work began on the Cathedral in the 12th century, the builders added a lofty Gothic chancel in the 1400s, and in 1835 the transformation into its present form began. In 1851 it was complete.… More

Full Story»

The Town of Belley in the Early History of the Society of Mary

Part 1 of 2

Introduction

Belley was and is a cathedral town, the see of the Diocese of Belley, now the Diocese of Belley-Ars. Founded as a diocese in the 5th century and disestablished during the French Revolution, it was restored as a diocese in 1823.… More

MM 50 Years Ago

From ‘Mostly about books’, by Pat Lawlor:

Collins, the publishers, are celebrating their 150th anniversary. They were the first to win a licence for printing the Bible. Production costs were then so low that they were able to insert this advertisement:

Holy Bible, Writ Divine –
Bound in leather, 1/9.More

The Bugey

in Early Society of Mary History

Part 2 of 2

Text and photos by the Editor

The Marists conducted missions in 27 parishes in the Bugey region of France between 1825 and 1829. The first three were in La Balme, Corlier and Izenave (see last month’s MM). More


More in this category