A Catholic Monthly Magazine

MM 50 Years Ago


St Mary of the Angels Choir

Mr Maxwell Fernie (below, left) was appointed musical director at St Mary of the Angels, Wellington, in 1958. He became organist as well on the retirement of Mrs G P Aldridge, who had been the organist since March 1925.

A native of the parish, Mr Fernie studied in London for six years at the end of his war service. He was organist at Westminster Cathedral, London, 1953-58, before taking up his appointment in Wellington.

It is a mixed choir of men and women with about 50 members, with a waiting list. In national composition it represents the Universal Church. It has members who hail from France, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Netherlands, Belgium, USA, Vietnam, Ireland, Scotland and England. July 1970


Tagged as: , ,

Leave a Response