A Catholic Monthly Magazine

Tag Archive for ‘Belley’

The Town of Belley in the Early History of the Society of Mary

Part 2 of 2 The Cathedral and Bishop Devie Work began on the Cathedral in the 12th century, the builders added a lofty Gothic chancel in the 1400s, and in 1835 the transformation into its present form began. In 1851 it was complete. For such a small town, it was an enormous building. Bishop Devie‚Äôs […]

The Town of Belley in the Early History of the Society of Mary

Part 1 of 2 Introduction Belley was and is a cathedral town, the see of the Diocese of Belley, now the Diocese of Belley-Ars. Founded as a diocese in the 5th century and disestablished during the French Revolution, it was restored as a diocese in 1823. Tradition has it the Belley became Christian in the […]